CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, December 28, 2008

post #8

What do you believe and why?

This is a very broad question.

I believe that every single person searches for happiness. The Sawi’s believed it to be by following superstitions so as to not anger the evil spirits. Many people currently try to find happiness in materialistic items. Christians believe that Jesus brings them the chance to receive everlasting happiness in heaven. I actually feel like part of each of these beliefs are a few of what make up my belief.

Although it seems silly to have superstitions, I can’t help having them. Although I try to tell myself that they aren’t true and remind myself that God makes everything happen for a purpose and that not every person who breaks a mirror gets seven years of bad luck, society and scary movies have placed a huge impact on me having them. I don’t necessarily search for happiness through superstitions but rather try not to go against them so as not to lose any more happiness I already have.

As for materialistic items, they satisfy me for a certain time period – a split moment. This happiness sometimes distracts me from the true path to happiness more than any other, but I believe it adds some spice to life. For example, I think we live to eat rather than eat to live. It is one of the things God gave us to enjoy and make us happy.

Last but not least, GOD – what I believe to be the ultimate and underlying source of happiness. It is what we all should be living for because if there was no God, what would the purpose of living be when we know we are all going to die someday. Also, no matter what we love or believe, it all leads back to something greater than us – a God. We love food, people, animals, pencils, clothes, computers, etc. Where did it come from? Everything points back to the question of the beginning and therefore to God.

So I believe in God.

2 comments:

Eugene Bock said...

Lauren, I agree with most of the things you have stated in this post. For me, materialistic items satisfy me for more than a split second, to be honest:) Moreover, I completely agree that I have superstitions like you, and I think I probably have them more often than you do. I dream about having the sexiest girlfriend, I dream about making ten 3's per game, getting 10 rebounds, averaging 25 points. But unlike you, I'm not sure if God has a plan in my life, because I feel like, especially nowdays, my life is a complete mess. But, since I believe that there IS God, I also want to believe that He will help me. Oh! and I also believe that every single person searches for happiness, because I'm looking for it! In fact, I've been looking for it my whole life, and I hope to find it before I die! I NEED HIM!

Lauren - Peace Child said...

Well I guess it is more than a split second but you know.. it wears off after time. Like when you get something new you love it and then later you forget about it or feel like you have nothing and need something more or new again.
haha and who said I don't dream about a hot guy ;)you never know Eugene hehe
And Eugene, maybe God is making this time a mess and hard to learn from it. Maybe He is purposely doing this so that you need someone to lean on and that is Him. If everything was good people would think they don't need God. That's what I think. Honestly, it's when i feel as if things are fine that I tend to forget about Him the most. I am sure there will be a time later on for you.
:)
hopefully both of us will be happy before we die XD