CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, December 28, 2008

Post #5

What concepts in the Sawi culture intrigued / reviled / saddened / angered / surprised you?

What concepts in the Sawi culture intrigued / reviled / saddened / angered / surprised you?

I was surprised by the way the Sawi people reacted towards the missionaries when they first arrived. I expected them to appear barbaric and exhibit some type of aggression towards the “tuans” because the first part of the book described their cannibalistic ways and how highly they idealized treachery. The whole conception Don Richardson gives of the Sawi’s culture until the meeting point with the missionaries is certainly not a depiction of a benevolent society. So it was a bit shocking when I read that they were scared of them and hid. Although it was the first time seeing people of different skin color, have weapons, tools, and items they had never seen before, it intrigued me as to why they had not grouped together to destroy them. I understand how they could think that the missionaries were some type of God because of their modern day items, but like they said, the ancestor’s stories left no advice for what to do with the new comers. Even though they were confused wouldn’t it make sense for them to kill the missionaries as they passed their territory because that is what they did to the other tribes. I just thought the Sawi people would rid of what they felt uncomfortable with and feared.

3 comments:

B. Miller said...

Hmmm. I like your thoughts Lauren. I agree that I thought the Sawi's reaction to the "tuans" was very unlike them. I guess they ended up being spared their lives for a reason! The way I see it is God had a plan. A big plan to change the Sawi's underlying belief and that is interesting and intriguing. The way that they behaved was to me, in the end, a good thing. A way for the missionaries who very easily could have been killed, to live and help the Sawi adapt. These are my thoughts. Thanks.

Haichan Park said...

Lauren, I think what you talked about in this post is the fight part of fight or flight. I was exposed to this idea a couple of years ago when I was reading a short story called “the Most Dangerous Game.” I think the Sawi were scared of the “tuans” because of their high technology and things they have never seen before in their lives. If I was in the Sawi shoes I think I would have done the same thing as they did, keep an eye on them without killing them. I think I would have done this because the “tuans” didn’t do anything that provoked the Sawi’s per say. To keep the inner peace within the Sawi I think I would have done what the Sawi’s has done.

Grace ShinAe Lee said...

Hey Lauren!

I didn't realize, until I read your blog, that the Sawi people were acting so meek when Don Richardson and his wife arrived. I also expected the Sawi people to be extremely savage when they first confronted the "Tuans" but I guess that is how God prophesied that the Sawi people will eventually change and make peace.
Hope you're having an awesome break.